Saturday 13 February 2010

Setback for Denman as Tricky wins


Denman is my favourte horse and one of the reason I got involved in racing (and the reason behind my alias on this blog). At his best he's an unbelievably good chaser shown with his Gold Cup success in 2008 and his two Hennessy victories. Today he went off at 1/6 for the Aon chase at Newbury, it was as a near to a certainty as you can get in racing. Luckily I avoided the temptation to stake anything on Denman since I generally don't bet at such low odds as I see the huge risk isn't worth the potential small gains. I obviously like everyone else thought Denman would win comfortably and canter up. But two terrible blunders from the great chaser, the second of which unseated McCoy saw him out of the race. This left the two Grand National favourites Niche Market & Tricky Trickster to battle it out, It was Tricky Trickster who powered home and willingly stayed on strongly over the closing stages. Definitley a good sign for any Grand National ante-post backers of Tricky Trickster.

However the setback for Denman obviously comes as a worry ahead of the Gold Cup at Cheltenham it is reassurring to know that Nicholls said after the race that's he's 100% fine and didn't suffer any injuries during the race. Drama seems to surround Denman wherever he goes and I wouldn't rule out another amazing comeback story at Cheltenham as he comes up against his old nemisis Kauto Star and the newcomer on the block Imperial Commander amongst others. One things for sure come the 19th of March if Denman's running I'll be backing him. The way I look at it is that this little setback as just made the price on a Denman win a lot more attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment