Sunday 20 March 2011

It never rains but it pours

We are taught almost programmed by sayings that when bad times fall upon us they often seem to fall together. Bad things come in threes? How about seven losing weeks on the bounce for bad luck? Needless to say I don't really believe in any of this, although at times this year it seems things have turned against me time and time again. This week I recorded a loss of £365.96 which is my third biggest weekly loss of the year. Yes maybe I did get a bit carried away with too many Cheltenham bets, after all it is true to say a 16/1 in a class 6 race at Wolverhampton pays just as much as a 16/1 chance in a top class race at Cheltenham. All things being said I was only about £100 down with my Cheltenham bets which I don't think is too bad in the grand scheme of things.

However it's the loss of Adrian Massey's fantastic ratings that will undoubtedly go onto hit me hard over the remainder of the year, I had my main years horse racings bets especially from the period of March to June solely based on the back of systems devised from the ratings. The ratings sadly had their last outing on Saturday and now in hindsight I realise I was probably quite foolish to have so much of my betting year relying on one source of information. Now I have to make a swift adjustments to try and find a new "edge" safe to say I don't think football or at least Premier League football is the way forward for me. Seem to keep hitting brick walls with my selections there, thought Tottenham @ 1.71 and Arsenal @1.96 this weekend both offered cracking value but neither could win. Could claim I was unlucky, Tottenahm had about a gizillion chances and Arsenal's keeper went walkabouts again. But you can only claim being unlucky for a short period of time and I'm over £300 down with my Premier League bets this season which seems to indicate that I'm not very good at spotting "value". What with my horse racing bets seriously reduced it now leaves me incredibly light on betting options. Trading hasn't been going well either, think I'm too much in the gambler instinct to have the patience and discipline to trade although I shall continue to try with the little bit of money I have remaining in my Betfair account.

Overall the tag in my blog title which states how I'm striving to "become a fully pledged professional gambler" looks a forlorn illusion. At the minute I'm starting to think i'm turning into a mediocre recreational gambler rather than someone who's taking things seriously. The full-time dream seems very much a dream at present. My mindset is now trying to regain a "part-time income" attitude to gambling which I had last year. I'm over £1.7k down for this year, which is a lot worse than I could ever have imagined. To compound things the loss of my biggest profit turning horse racing systems means the task to turn that loss around looks a very difficult task. I shall keep fighting and battling away though, a return to an old horse racing system as proved a beacon of light this week I shall post an entry on that sometime next week.

2 comments:

  1. Denman

    I greatly admire your conviction and spirit..you will succeed in the long-term with these valuable assets. The fact that you accept the early losses for the year and stick to your plan is 90% of your ultimate success.

    I wish you good luck!

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Jake. I sure hope you're right.

    ReplyDelete