Thursday 6 January 2011

Mixed start to the new year

Was away for the new year so didn't have any betting action bar a few pre-match football on the first few days of the new year. Since then however the start to the year has been a bit mixed, my Premier League football bets on New Year's Day weren't so good yet I had a good round of fixtures this midweek. Proudest achievements of the year so far was laying Charlton when the went 1-0 up against Swindon, Charlton promptly went on to lose 3-1. Think that match was on Monday (lost track of days over the Christmas period). That nice lay ensured I'm in profit with my football bets but my horse racing bets haven't got off to a great start but then again there's a long, long way to go yet in this year. I've no reason to doubt my methods, I have full belief in them at present. I plan to do my weekly updates each Sunday evening, best time for me really and it is when I usually tally up my performance for the week. Next update will probably be Sunday then (with some weekly P/L figures). There is a round of FA Cup fixtures this weekend not fully looked through the fixtures yet but the cups are not something I usually get involved in that deeply. Do like the occasional flutter on the outright markets if I think a certain team(s) look too big.

I also did something I don't usually do with my bets and that is bet against something that you think will happen. I thought Arsenal would beat Man City (should have done as well really) but I took the value approach and had Man City (+0.5) at over evens, which was definitely the value in that game in my eyes. It does feel odd betting against something that you think will happen but you need to remember you should be betting on something that is value and not actually what you think will happen, because let's face it the majority of the time you are going to think the favourites going to win. That's where most people are let down in my opinion they bet on what they think will happen and not on what represents value. I'd like to think my grasp of the sometimes vague "value" concept is improving as my Premier League football bets have been fairly steady for a number of weeks now (see my previous entry on this topic).

To end on a joyous note, England to wrap up the series 3-1 tonight, Aussies in total disarray and they just can't handle this England side, who just keep going from strength to strength.

On yer bike skip!

No comments:

Post a Comment